¢The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
¢Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
¢When youve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
¢Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Section 1 Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
-Hours of week
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
-Health & Safety
-Pay & pensions
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment.
-Employment rights & responsibilities
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
-From the persons line manager
-Trade union representative
-Citizens advice bureau
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
A trade union or non-trade union representative can support an employee when they have a problem at work, including any concerns they have with their employer. They can also accompany the employee to disciplinary or grievance hearings with management. They can also represent the employee in negotiations over pay and terms and conditions on employment.
5. Identify employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities.
If possible, provide relevant equality and diversity procedures from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
Employee responsibilities -treat all staff & colleagues with respect and dignity
Do not bully, harass, abuse, or intimidate others
6. Explain the benefits of making sure equality and diversity procedures are followed in a business environment. Your answer should include one benefit for the employer, one benefit for the employee and one benefit for the overall organisation.
Section 2 Understand the purpose of health, safety and security procedures in a business environment
1a. Identify employer and employee responsibilities for health and safety.
1b. Identify employer and employee responsibilities for security.
If possible, provide relevant health, safety and security policies / documents from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
2. Explain the purpose of following health, safety and security procedures in a business environment.
3. Describe three different ways of maintaining a safe and secure business environment.
Section 3 Understand how to communicate effectively with others
1. Describe three different methods of communication. You should include two verbal, two non-verbal and two written methods of communication.
2. Using two specific examples, explain how to choose the most appropriate method of communication to meet your needs and the needs of others.
3. Describe at least two ways of actively listening.
Section 4 Understand how to work with and support colleagues
1. Explain the purpose of agreeing standards for your own work. Give at least two reasons.
2. Explain the purpose of taking on new challenges and being able to adapt to change at work.
3. Explain the purpose of treating others with honesty and consideration.
Section 5 Know how to plan own work and be accountable to others
1. Explain the purpose of meeting work standards and deadlines when completing tasks in a business environment.
2. Identify two different methods that you can use to plan your own work in a business environment.
3. Describe ways of keeping other people informed about progress and compare their effectiveness. What are the benefits and drawbacks of each approach?
Section 6 Understand the purpose of improving own performance in a business environment and how to do so
1. Explain the purpose of continuously improving your performance in a business environment.
2. Describe at least two ways of improving your performance at work. Where relevant, illustrate your answer with specific examples from your own experience.
3. Identify at least two different types of career pathways or options that may be available to you.
Section 7 Understand the types of problems that may occur in a business environment and how to deal with them
1. Identify at least two different types of problems that can occur in a business environment.
2. Describe at least two specific problems that can occur at work and explain how they can be dealt with.
3. List at least two problems you are able to deal with yourself and two problems you would need to refer to others to deal with. Explain how and when you would refer these problems to others.